Saturday, April 13, 2013

Cocoa meringues with berries


Another winner from Taste of Home.  This is just heavenly.  The original recipe was for 2 servings; I doubled it, and that is how I posted it below.  It makes 4 desserts.

Cocoa meringues with berries

2 egg whites
1/4 t cream of tartar
a dash of salt
6 T sugar, divided
2 T cocoa
1/2 t vanilla
2 T finely chopped unsweetened chocolate (did not double this)

2 T sugar (did not double this)
2 t cornstarch
4 T orange juice
2 T water
1 c blueberries (calls for fresh or frozen; I recommend fresh)
1 c raspberries (calls for fresh or frozen; I recommend fresh)

Let egg whites stand 30 minutes to come to room temperature.  Add cream of tartar.  Beat to soft peaks.  Gradually beat in 4 T sugar.  Combine cocoa and remaining 2 T sugar; add to meringue with vanilla.  
Beat to stiff peaks.  Fold in dark chocolate.

Drop four mounds onto baking sheet covered with parchment paper.  Hollow the center slightly with the back of a spoon.  Bake at 275 for 50-60 minutes.  Turn oven off and leave meringues in oven for another hour.

Combine sugar, cornstarch, orange juice and water in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.  Remove from heat and stir in berries; allow to come to room temperature then spoon over meringues.



No comments:

Post a Comment