Monday, February 1, 2016

Chicken with black beans and yellow rice

Another fantastic recipe for leftover turkey or chicken.  And I'll never make boxed yellow rice ever again!  The original recipe (from Southern Living) called for the boxed version, but I found a great recipe for yellow rice by The Happy Home Economist online.  The original recipe calls for the vegetables to be sautéed, but I like them crunchy, so I put them in raw.  The original recipe also has tomatoes with green chilies.

Cooked chicken:  chicken with black beans and yellow rice

3/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 pinch cinnamon
1 pinch coriander
1 1/2 cup broth
1 1/2 cup water
1 Tablespoon butter
3/4 Teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup basmati rice
1 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup carrot, chopped
2 cup chicken, cooked and cubed
15 ounce black beans
10 ounce diced tomatoes
8 ounce Monterey Jack cheese, shredded

Instructions: Heat turmeric, cumin, cinnamon and coriander over low heat for about 1 minute.  Add broth, water, salt and butter; bring to a boil.  Add rice and stir well.  Cover and reduce heat to a low simmer; cook for 15 minutes without stirring.  Let sit, covered, for 10 minutes.

Combine hot cooked rice, onion, pepper, carrot, black beans, tomatoes and 1 1/2 c cheese.  Bake, covered, at 350 for 30 minutes.  Uncover, sprinkle with remaining cheese, and bake an additional 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment