Friday, April 15, 2011

Friday night, Gainesville

It's Friday night. We had a relatively uneventful day. Tonight is a different story, but you have to read to the end to find out the exciting stuff. No fair skipping ahead, either.

It was great to see Cindy and Uncle Romaine. We sat and talked continuously until we left at a little after noon today. They made us feel so welcome, we are already planning the next trip. We got along pretty well with Crazy Heather today. Her route from Greensboro to I-95 seemed ridiculous while we were driving through all the tiny back roads past farms and through little villages, but it was perfectly reasonable when I looked at the map afterwards. Once we were on 95, we had to be on the lookout for bandits. Cindy told us about the parents of a radiologist she works with. The elderly couple were driving in a Lexus down 95 and they got blocked in by some guys who tried to force them off the road, presumably to rob them. They kept their cool, called 911 and got away, but not before they shot the husband in the arm!!!!! I am not quite sure if we needed to be worried, 2 middle-aged sisters in a Saturn Vue..... But we watched for suspicious characters anyways. None noted.

It was late when we got to Gainesville so we didn't even drive by the old house. We went straight to Payne's Prairie Campground. First campground I have ever been to that has locked gates. I didn't read the fine print on my reservation; I was supposed to call the campground if I was going to arrive after 5. No way to get in. No other local campgrounds--not in great supply in this area. The crushing blow--we are in a hotel room tonight. Looking on the bright side, it has a little kitchenette (the same place I stayed
when I came here for my acupuncture classes), so we were able to warm up our dinner on a little stove in the room, wash dishes in a real sink, and clean out the cooler, with everything chilled down in a refrigerator overnight. We will be able to get on the road quicker in the morning, too.

It's a real disappointment (because I really wanted to see Payne's Prairie), and an unnecessary expense that I thought I could avoid with all my advance work, but I guess the best laid plans occasionally produce a rotten egg.

We will visit the Seale's at our old house in the morning, and be on the road to St. Pete before noon, I think.

Better news then, too. I hope.

Cindy, there doesn't seem to be any dragging, dropping or desktop on the iPad. Any drag leads to scrolling of the photos/window. Thanks for what I thought was a great idea. And thanks for your generous hospitality. We were sure glad to spend time with you. Love Katie too.

Sleep tight.

1 comment:

  1. euwww, i started to take offense at the "relatively uneventful day" beginning, since you were with us in the morning! but great save with the next paragraph! still hoping you'll change your mind and hop off the parkway to come back here! NO, i did NOT tell heather to do that!
    cindy

    ReplyDelete