We are at Uncle Romaine and Cindy's, ready for bed. A real bed tonight.
One of the things I forgot to tell you yesterday was the campsite at Lake Anna. The camp roads are all paved, so traffic doesn't make any noise. Each tent site has a gravel pad for parking, a plastic lumber (Greg's favorite) picnic table, and a smooth, level bed of river gravel in a frame like a raised bed garden for the tent. It was incredibly comfortable--like memory foam. No sticks or rocks jabbing your back all night. Also kept the tent cleaner. The tent dried out beautifully in the sunshine.
Checkout at Lake Anna was a breeze. After breakfast and laundry, it was about 11 before we got on the road again (I could write country music, but I like my day job). Leaving the campground, I saw a sign to our left that pointed towards I-95. Heather had other ideas. She turned us right, and wound us through very pretty back roads for an hour before allowing us to get on 95. Pretty smooth sailing. We stopped at a rest stop that had picnic tables, and made our curried chicken salad for lunch. Cath, we had Hobnobs for dessert. Back on 95, and it took us down to US1 to Raleigh. It was not at all familiar--so built up since I was driving that route regularly. Heather tried to send us on another side trip, but we continued down Rt 1 till we saw signs for Raleigh, then let her take us to Aunt Karolyn's. rim's wife Lisa was there already, and Rim got there shortly after. We had a great time talking and reminiscing, mostly about Gram Hervey. Aunt Karolyn made a. great spinach/cheese rolled in lasagna noodles and baked, Yum. Fresh asparagus and salad, too. For dessert we had pound cake and homemade lemon curd from Gram's recipe. Got a couple more group shots, and left around 7:15.
Aunt Karolyn looks great, and so does Rim. It was so good to see them. Can't wait 25 years for the next visit!
We made it to Uncle Romaine's a little after 9 and got another dessert! Strawberry-blueberry trifle.
It was a beautiful and uneventful day (in terms of adventure). The highest temp I saw on the car thermometer was 77. It was a little too warm, actually.
We spend tomorrow morning with Cindy and Uncle Romaine, and plan to leave late morning. Next stop: Gainesville FL.
No comments:
Post a Comment