It's still hot (85), but relatively dry today. Comfortable when we are moving.
Last night we ate at the Lazy Flamingo. I was crammed full of people, and we had to wait to be seated, but we treated ourselves to a meal out, and it was very good. I wanted to try their smoked fish--they were out. I wanted to buy a tank top with their logo--they didn't hav anything but T's. But I did have Key Limeie, and Mom, yours is better. Theirs was almost like cheesecake in consistency--very heavy and dense. (I did choke it all down).
Our campsite last night was comfortable, too--nice thick grass to sleep on, nice showers, water spigot right at the edge of our site. But we were separated from the main drag on Sanibel only by a small hedgerow. Traffic went all night. I didn't sleep all that well. Had a small nap break after only a little while on the road.
We could only find a couple of houses on Sanibel with the old construction. Most are newer, and many McMansions. I personally don't have any reason to go back again. Don't know if Barb feels the same.
We got to St. Pete around noon. Approaching from the south made it very easy to do our tour. We went by 6762, which looks very tidy. However, they took all of the trees out of the circle. For those who don't know, that is the home we lived in from 1963 until were out of school. We went by Bay Point (our elementary school), which has been totally torn down and
reconstructed. There are gates and bars all over. Lakewood (high school) doesn't look different from the last time I was there, other than doubling the student parking lot. We have zillions of pictures.
Then we went to 66th St. Looks exactly the same. Apparently whoever bought it is renting it
to a family with five kids. We visited with Liz and John Reynolds, who are great. They had to put Augie down last month. I had checked my oil, and it didn't read on the dipstick, so I asked John where I should take it so I wouldn't get ripped off and he had a fit. He didn't even want me to get my hands dirty checking the oil. Got down under it on the driveway, which was blistering!! And found no leaks. I put in two quarts, and John was mad he didn't have it to give me. He insisted I check it frequently, and is worried about us for the rest of the trip. The engine hasn't been running hot, so I will just watch it. John got a huge boat, and I think so far all he has done is work on it. He said it came with some "baggage."
We tried to go to the Spartan for lunch, but it doesn't open until 4 on Sundays.
We are in central FL having lunch at a rest stop. We have a long day ahead, and I am projecting an after midnight arrival at our campsite. Ewwwwwww. If so, I will not likely be in any shape to blog tonight, but we'll see.
No comments:
Post a Comment