Thursday, April 21, 2011

Thursday, Central Square

Wow, what a crazy time.  First I have to finish up our trip, then try to add pics, then tell you about the little one.

Now, where did I leave off?  We arrived at Sherando Lake campground about 9:30 Tuesday night.  Gates close at 10, so we were lucky there--no mention of that in their reservation information.  Anyhow, no harm, no foul.  There were quite a few other campers, and a couple with campfires we really coveted.  We had no time or wood for a fire.  Too bad.

To keep you up on my "facilities fetish," the showers were comfortable, but not to rave about.  I think they are trying to save water by having the type that you push a button and get a prescribed maybe 30 seconds of water.  It took me two cycles to figure out the rest of the system--lost some savings there!  But after I figured it out, I told Barb so she didn't have to reinvent the system, and she taught another lady!  Friendly folks, are campers!  There was a lever to turn for temperature control, but it didn't have anything to do with the production of water.  So the first mistake is to torque that all around, trying to get water.  Now you've messed up the temperature.  When you finally push the knob, it takes a while to get the temp right again.  There are also two shower heads, one regular, and one I think for foot rinsing.  So you have to monkey with that and figure it out, too.  Really, no savings in water.  Then you find ONE LITTLE bit of soap you missed, and have to run through a whole cycle again.  Just use a regular setup!!!

Our campsite was really nice, second only to Lake Anna.  It was also leveled gravel, but much harder surface.  No memory foam feel.  It was boxed in with 4 x 4's, and the whole site was surrounded by a cute rock retaining wall.  We had stone steps. a huge picnic table, a separate little table for other "stuff," and lots of quiet.  We were 10 miles off of I-64, so no traffic, no lights.  Very, very nice.  There were mountains every direction we looked.  No Internet signal, but I think that turned out for the best, anyhow.  If I had known about the baby, I probably would not have slept a wink (Greg didn't--he got up every hour to check on the new fella), and would have driven Barb crazy wanting to get on the road.  We got off nicely, even without knowing, and discovered the urgent email from Greg as soon as we were able to get a signal.

You know what happened next.

Tried to add a photo of the baby and me, but it just comes up as the file name.  I'll keep trying.


We are home, the baby is out with Mazie and Finny, playing then sleeping, then nursing.  Barb unpacked the whole car for me, while I cleaned stalls.  Greg is the best caretaker--just like I was here!  Called a few people about the little guy.  Hope he'll have some company to admire him.  Called the large animal DVM's to come do a mare and foal check today.  You can help us with his name, too.  Ideas so far:

Sherando (Randy)--for the campground where we stayed his first night of life, and where we found out about him (sort of)

Rising Son (Sonny)--from his Mom's name, Phoenix.

Other suggestions?

I'll keep blogging and trying to figure out a name for him.  Will try to post a photo weekly, as I learn how to train him.

Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment